At The Reformed Church of Freehold we demonstrate God’s love, build community, and welcome all who desire to follow Jesus Christ.
Jesus Christ is central to our life together. Jesus brings us into the fellowship of the Church where disciples are made and community built. Abundant life is found in the faith community as we participate in worship, fellowship, and mission. A church family provides the support and meaning that sustains us.
The Reformed Church of Freehold is a congregation of the Reformed Church in America (known earlier as the Dutch Reformed Church) the oldest continuous Protestant communion in our country; the first congregation was founded in 1628 in the fort at New Amsterdam (New York City).
In 1842, over 175 years ago, the Second Reformed Protestant Dutch Church of Freehold was established as a separate and independent congregation. Before that time, the people of the Reformed Church of Freehold had been associated with the First Reformed Protestant Dutch Church of Freehold in Bradevelt, Marlboro (Old Brick Church).
The building as it appeared in 1842 was a plain, square structure with no steeple, except an inverted corn basket ornament on top. The pews faced the street. There was a lobby in the front part of the church with stairways leading up to the gallery and the consistory rooms. The gallery was on three sides of the church, and the choir was in the gallery over the present pulpit. At that time the pulpit was on the Main Street side of the building.
The Church continued to thrive, and in 1859 the first remodeling of the church took place. A very high steeple, a new cast steel bell, and the addition of the present narthex were all part of this renovation. The interior of the sanctuary was completely turned about. The pulpit was placed in the rear center facing Main Street and the pews were turned about to the position they are in today.
In 1867, a fire in the church caused enough damage that services could not be held in the sanctuary for several weeks. Another remodeling took place at the end of the 19th Century, and in 1905 the high steeple was replaced by a lower, more stable spire. The life of the congregation continued to grow with all these changes. By 1906, the number of members had reached 300, and the benevolence budget had increased by 50% over what it had been 25 years before.
In 1992 the old wooden supports of the church (tree trunks) were replaced by concrete columns. A new floor was laid in the sanctuary, and the step up to the pews was eliminated. A total of 4 pews, 2 on each side, were removed to give more space in the main area of the sanctuary. New carpet, new pew cushions, and a complete interior painting were all accomplished in celebration of 150 years of church life. The cost of this renovation was covered by activities, donations, and pledges.
In 2015 a generous gift allowed for the upgrading of the Kitchen and Fellowship Hall in honor of Florence and William Clayton. At this time, the stoves’ ventilation and fire suppression systems were brought up to code.
Our building has been renewed; it stands ready to assume its role in the community for the coming years. The renewal of the building has been accomplished through the cooperation of the congregation working together with a renewed spirit.